About Faculty Recruitment At IIT - Roorkee
Q.1 When can one apply for a faculty position at IIT Roorkee?
You can apply at any time of the year. The advertisement for faculty positions is rolling and open ended. The details and application form are given in the advertisement notice available at this web site (www.iitr.ac.in ).Q.2 What are the perks in addition to the pay at IIT Roorkee?
Institute offers unparalleled opportunities for Professional Development and ideal surroundings with high quality of life. Some of the perks available to the faculty are:
- Professional Development Perks
- Freedom and autonomy to pursue research in areas of interest
- Encouragement to take up sponsored research and consultancy projects
- 100% flexibility in cadre structure to provide opportunities for career advancement to deserving candidates
- A desk top computer with internet facility in the office for each faculty
- Special one time grant of Rs. 100,000 can be made to individuals to support research projects from the Institute Funds on case to case basis. This amount can be raised to Rs. 200,000 in special cases and upto Rs. 1,000,000 in very exceptional cases by the Institute
- Financial support of up to Rs. 100, 000 for attending an international conference out of India once in three years
- Financial support for attending one conference within India each year
- Rs. 4000/- per year for purchase of professional books etc.
- 75% of membership fee of one International professional society
- No limit on earnings through consultancy projects
- Facility of Professional Development Fund for faculty
- Personal Perks
- Family accommodation within the campus on very nominal license fee
- Free telephone connection with internet facility.
- Reimbursement of telephone bills at residence up to Rs 750/- per month.
- Leave Travel Concession for travel as per Institute rules
- Retirement at the age of 65 years with Gratuity, Pension, Leave encashment etc. as per Institute rules
- Medical facilities at the Institute health center and reimbursement of medical bills for treatment outside as per Institute rules
- School for children in the campus and good schools in the town
- Other facilities like house building loans, other loans etc., as per Institute rules
- Swimming pool, gymnasium, squash, tennis and other games and sports facilities, faculty club
Q.4 What are the Unique Selling Points ( USP) of IIT Roorkee ?
Yes, there are various schemes under which a person can take up an assignment on short term basis such as visiting faculty/professor for a period ranging from one month to a year.
Q.5 Who all can apply for Faculty positions in IIT Roorkee?
Roorkee is 180 km North of Delhi on National Highway 58 which connects New Delhi to Dehradun, Hardwar, Rishikesh and Badrinath. The present traveling time from Delhi is about four hours by road and three and a half hours by train. Good rail and road connections are available. The highway is in the process of being converted into a full four- lane highway, which should reduce the travel time drastically.
- IIT Roorkee has a sprawling verdant 365 Acre campus at Roorkee and 25 Acre Campus at Saharanpur. The small town close to the foot hills of Himalaya with pollution free environment offers ideal surroundings for nature loving people (Please see “About Roorkee” on this website for details)
- IIT Roorkee has its roots in University of Roorkee ( established 1949) as the first Technical University of Free India and Thomason College of Engineering (established 1847) as the first college for Civil Engineering Education in the British Empire (Please see ‘History of Thomason College’ and ‘History of University of Roorkee’ by Prof. K.V.Mittal on this website)
- Roorkee has a cluster of National Institutions in the town and in the nearby towns which provide possibilities of professional interaction and collaboration in research and consultancy, viz., Central Building Research Institute, National Institute of Hydrology, Bengal Engineering Group and Centre all at Roorkee; Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited at Hardwar, Oil and Natural Gas Corporation, Forest Research Institute, Central Soil Conservation Research Institute, National Remote Sensing Institute, Survey of India, Indian Petroleum Institute and Defense Research and Development Organization at Dehradun.
- Indian Nationals
- Non Resident Indians (NRIs) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs).
- Foreign Nationals (other than PIOs and NRIs) can be appointed for fixed tenure not exceeding five years on contract basis.